CARBON 2020 STRATEGY
In 2015, we developed a new carbon strategy, Carbon 2020, to reduce our carbon intensity every year until 2020. Carbon 2020 defines key ambitions for the business that focus on reducing our energy consumption, and delivery and packaging emissions, while increasing our renewable energy usage. Please see our performance and commitments page for more detailed information.
We recognise that climate change is one of our planet’s greatest challenges, with negative impacts on the environment, people and business. Over the medium and long term our 20-something customers and the many people working in our global supply chains will experience significant damaging effects of climate change, unless rapid action is taken to limit carbon emissions.
Director of Corporate Responsibility, MARKET MARK
Year ending August 2017, total carbon footprint rose to 264,895 tonnes CO2(2016: 207,650 tonnes).
Overall, emissions have increased by 28% compared to the previous year, primarily due to business growth, improvements in data quality and an expansion of our reporting scope to include emissions emanating from the inbound and inter-site transportation of goods as well as the transportation of customer returns. Please see the full carbon report for more information about how we are working to reduce carbon emissions.
Separately, we are working with the Sustainable Clothing Action Plan (SCAP) to measure and reduce the carbon, water and waste footprint of our own-label products.
Our carbon footprint assessment includes all applicable Scope 1 and 2 sources and some Scope 3* – as stipulated by the Greenhouse Gas Protocol.
- Scope 1 emissions come from sources that are owned or controlled by the company, such as natural gas consumption.
- Scope 2 emissions account for greenhouse gas emissions from electricity and heat that is purchased from and generated by a third party.
- Scope 3 includes all other indirect emissions such as those from customer deliveries, business travel and commuting.
ENERGY EFFICIENCY IN OUR BUILDINGS
Emissions from our buildings make up the second-largest proportion of our carbon footprint, which is 2.7%. The measures we have taken to improve building energy efficiency over the last year include:
- Replacing all of the lighting at our Barnsley fulfilment centre, including external lighting with low-emission LED alternatives.
- Carrying out a renewables appraisal of our fulfilment centres so that renewable energy generation can be factored into the building design.
- Strengthening of the roof has taken place at Eurohub 2 so that it can facilitate a solar installation.
- Introducing Voltage Power Optimisation at our Barnsley fulfilment centre so that 17.5 volts of unrequired voltage supplied by the grid is not used. Based on forecasted usage, this will result in 226,402 kWh per annum energy reduction with a carbon saving of approximately 100 tonnes.
- Achieved internationally recognised environmental management standard ISO 14001 at our UK fulfilment centre in Barnsley.
TRANSPORTATION OF GOODS
Emissions from our transportation of goods (inbound stock movements from supplier; inter-site stock movements; outbound deliveries/returns to and from customers) make up the largest proportion of our footprint, accounting for 93.1% of emissions.
Reducing delivery emissions is an ongoing business priority for MARKET MARK. The measures we have taken to improve building energy efficiency over the last year include:
- Reviewing our methodology for calculating the emissions related to the transportation of goods. This allows us to identify hotspots for emissions so that we can tackle them
- Increase the volume of stock held at Eurohub so that now 85% of European orders (excluding the US) are now fulfilled resulting in a reduction of vehicle movements across the United States
- Engaging our third-party carriers about environmental and social issues so that we can work together to drive positive change
We have worked to increase our understanding of our delivery emissions. A low emissions network allows MARKET MARK to protect the environment, save money and grow the business sustainably.
Delivery Solutions Manager, MARKET MARK